Created with flickr slideshow.
An Old Fashioned Look at Our Town
Postcards courtesy of Brad Higginbottom - some historic notes from "Images of America - Bound Brook
- by Dorothy Stratford and Margaret McKay
This postcard of the Bound Brook Post Office was printed in Germany and published by Fetterly & Loree
The Taylor family home on High and Hamilton was purchased by George Lamont and given as a home for the Public Library. In 1924, the building was raised and replaced by the current library which was erected a a memorial to WWI Service veterans. It was dedicated on December 20, 1924
In a postcard dated September 8, 1905 to a Miss Elsie Walker in Webster, Massachusetts, Lizzie proudly shows off the Boat Club!
Sister May writes that she is having a fine time on July 4, 1906.
This postcard written in French to "Chere Emily in New York City
Shade Trees in full bloom gracefully line Second Street
The Washington School, (Bound Brook High School) completed in 1907 was home to high school and grammar school students.
At the time, it was a state-of-the-art building. Students commuted from as far away as Belle Meade and Weston by train.
This boulder was excavated from the bed of the Delaware and Raritan Canal during construction. The Battle Monument was prepared and mounted by Essex Yawger, a local stone cutter.
Until 1846, the Presbyterian Church was the only church in town. By 1876, Catholics had congregations and places to worship.
Postcard dated September 16, 1911 mailed from Madison Square Station in NY to Mrs. Effie Angel in Kimmell, Indiana
"The Road Leading to Martinsville, N.J" depicts a very rural lane to the mountains
1908 postcard from Abe shows the Standard Paint Company just over the river in South Bound Brook
The Van Horne House has stood gallantly on the hill since 1750. Few houses witnessed more of the Revolutionary War. Perhaps ghosts of the British, French and American Armies still trudge by silently paying respect to the Mansion on the Hill.